Saturday, February 21, 2015

A New Normal: From Newlywed to Parents

Hello! Welcome to a new blog I am starting, the tales of a new parent.  I am Heather Perez, married to my wonderful husband Alvaro Perez. We speak both English & Spanish in our household & plan to have our daughter learn both languages from the beginning.  She is currently 3 months and was born at the end of November. 


Before this to give a synopsis, my husband and I both worked full time.  I always have been working, in school, volunteering, helping in church, if you can't tell this is leading to I am a doer.  Not only that I love hanging out with people.  I do not love to be by myself for very long. I text, I still talk on the phone (talker).  Before I went to Starbucks or coffee shops as often as I could with an old friend, to a brand new friend, because I love spending time with people and hearing their story.  I also love and have a passion for social work.

So let's lead up to my story.  When I found out I was having a baby, it led to a lot of questions of course, work, maternity leave, etc.  Well we decided it would be best if I stayed home with Ellie and take care of her.  Which is a beautiful thing, but let's just say housework & cleaning were not my strongsuit.  While my husband provides, well my new job is of course taking care of the baby, but also to take care of cleaning, dishes (my least favorite).  I can say now after some support and motivation I am getting the hang of it. 

At first I was going stir crazy sitting in the house for a week, except for an appointment for Ellie.  So after the first week, I would run errands in the morning in the car by myself to grab things from the store, breakfast, etc.  It was my sanity.  Otherwise my life was slowly getting my own strength back, crying(which stressed me out in the beginning, lets face it sometimes it still does).  I lost count of how many diapers we have been through.  Let's not talk about the money spent, running out of diapers, etc. 

Now at 3 months I'm feeling a lot better.  Well since then I have gotten used to cries, sometimes knowing what cry means what.  Seeing her smile each morning when I say good morning, good afternoon.  Making weird noises that you would never in reality make to someone else but because she is your own daughter and they make her happy you will continue doing them. 

Tummy time finally made sense and I got the purpose besides working out, she rolled over and she's turning on her side, and she's mobile,in chairs if she isn't strapped in,she will shimmy down it, and change directions in her crib, floor, playmat, yes people my newborn is mobile and she's only turning 3 months next week.  Most people might be terrified but I'm ecstatic!



She's trying to talk with her ahhs, ooos, and those things you just don't understand and you just say oh really or ok my little princess, or do you have a dirty diapey.  Favorite part is when you see your baby smiling or are holding her and you hear a loud sound from the diaper, you know why she's happy!

I have joined a moms group and am going to church every Sunday, date nights are a must.  Not for all, but extreme extrovert Heather Cheryl Perez, needs to get out.  Whether its a store, standing in a starbucks line, etc.  Oh and people I drink one cup a day, I know ya'll thought Heather doesn't drink Starbucks anymore, not true I do, but I drink at home!

I have had one horrible experience, Ellie was hungry, we were getting groceries, and these two young dudes said I think she might want milk, I think she wants to eat directly looking at me, and I'm like hello shut up.  I didn't actually say that, but I wanted to.  The disadvantage of taking a baby to a store early. 

Oh in the beginning my emotions were horrible.  I cried when my husband left for work, I still get cranky more easily, and it's a whole new journey. 

My peace has been nap time, tv shows (yes I have caught up on most series because before I watched it once or twice a week), moms group, and my devo time I'm trying to start doing in the morning before Ellie and my husband wake up!


I also had to learn how to budget more (two incomes to one), grocery shop (before I ate take out and was on the go), how to clean a house and maintain it, and how to deal with being alone with a baby all the time. 

I remember when it stressed me out when she cried.  There was a moment where I put her in her crib crying and I took a break for a few minutes.  Now I am starting to get to it's cute, oh I know what you need, etc. 



My husband and I get us time, but most of the time, it's the three of us now, but luckily my mom, grandma, lives close and gives us date night :) #blessed

Yesterday was my most adventurous and succesful day yet!  I went to mom's group at 10 am, I went to Target after, I went to Babies R Us, and then I picked my husband up, so we went on quite a few errands, and she did pretty good, and it went well!  As I told you I am a doer, on the go person. 

Oh and also its been cold but when it's above 20  or almost at 40, I got my chicco carrier and I go walking, and it's amazing! She falls asleep when I'm walking, I get to jam to Lecrae, and she's sleeping while I'm losing baby weight and getting sun,and getting out of the house.  Ps I only went up one size, and am losing almost all my baby weight! Yay! 


This is only the beginning!  Oh and yes I am breastfeeding, I have a manual breast pump for date night, but next month we get to start introducing baby food, and things and I'm so excited! As a new mom I'm feeling better, God as my strength :)  This is the first of many posts!  I plan to share my tales of being a new mom :)

Bye Bye,
Heather Perez

No comments:

Post a Comment